University of Minnesota
Immigration History Research Center

Immigration History Research Center's home page.

How to become an Affiliated Scholar of the IHRC

Who are Affiliated Scholars?

Affiliates are people with substantive interests in the topics of research of the IHRC. Affiliated Scholars may be

  • Faculty at the University of Minnesota who wish to participate selectively in IHRC activities
  • Faculty visiting the University of Minnesota and faculty from other institutions who wish to participate in IHRC activities
  • Individuals who participate in IHRC-related research and who wish to participate in IHRC activities


Affiliated Scholars will receive notification of IHRC events and are welcome to attend. They may also utilize available research materials and IHRC space for short periods of time. The IHRC can meet only a few affiliate requests for use of space due to the IHRC’s limitations of space and budget.


Affiliated Scholars may be expected to participate in, or attend some IHRC activities as well as respond to requests for information.

The process

To be considered as an Affiliated Scholar individuals must submit the following materials for nomination:

  • A curriculum vitae
  • A 100-200 word description of the project.
  • A letter of endorsement from a core faculty member of the IHRC noting a fixed period of time for appointment.
  • A letter of endorsement from a member of your department or funding organization.
  • Scholars staying longer than a month may request a photo identification card ($20 fee to scholar)

Send your materials to

Immigration History Research Center
Attn: Affiliated Scholar Program
222—21st Ave South, Suite 311
Minneapolis MN 55455

Visitor access to materials in the University of Minnesota Libraries

Physical materials may be accessed within library buildings. For online resources such as licensed indexes and databases, read the access procedures at

For International Scholars

If you need a letter of official invitation to the University of Minnesota for a research visit, please contact the IHRC director directly.

Briefly: international scholars need to complete forms necessary to enter the United States and visit the IHRC. Often this is through a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa using the scholar categories of Research Scholar, Short-term Scholar or Professor. The first step is having your funding agency or institution "sponsor" you by submitting the DS-2019 form on your behalf. Processing a DS-2019 takes 2-4 weeks and the fee for this may vary. For instance, when the University of Minnesota "sponsors" a J-1 scholar, a processing fee of $285 USD is billed to the host department. Once the DS-2019 form has been approved, all new J-1 scholars applying for a J-1 visa must pay the SEVIS fee of $180 USD for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security electronic reporting system. This payment can be made online.

Health insurance: J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents must carry health insurance to meet the requirements of their visa status under regulations of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). For University of Minnesota sponsored visitors: all J-1 scholars and their dependents are required to purchase the University's insurance. Depending on the length of stay and other factors, some flexibility is possible using other U.S.-based employer -sponsored group helath plans. For more details, rates, and exceptions/waivers at the University of Minnesota, read pertinent information on the U's International Student and Scholar Services web page ( and Office of Student Health Benefits (