The Michael G. Karni Scholarship award is intended as a grant in aid of research to help defray expenses of visiting professors, lecturers, or graduate students from the United States or abroad using the archival sources of the University of Minnesota’s Immigration History Research Center Archives (IHRC Archives), with emphasis on projects relating to the Finnish American experience.
The award is a memorial to Michael Karni, pioneering historian and publisher of Finnish American ethnicity who was chiefly responsible for the initial development of the Finnish American collection at the IHRC Archives. The fund has been made possible through gifts from friends and members of the Karni family along with other supporters of Finnish American scholarly activity.
Up to $1000 to assist with travel and research-related expenses associated with a term of residence at the IHRC of not less than two full weeks (10 business days) of research. In planning a visit, note that the Immigration History Research Center will be closed the last week of December.
Post-doctoral scholars and graduate students working in fields of migration history, ethnic studies, cultural studies, and other areas for which the IHRC Archives' extensive holdings on Finnish immigration and ethnicity are of special significance. (Information about these sources is available on the IHRC/A's Web site.)
• Demonstrated connection between research needs and specific materials at the IHRC Archives.
• Evidence of excellent writing skills and concrete plans for publication (or thesis/dissertation schedule).
• Finnish language proficiency (for projects requiring sources in Finnish).
• Proposal of no more than 2 pages describing research project and collections to be consulted.
• Current curriculum vitae.
• Two letters of reference from current or recent professors or colleagues.
• Brief estimate of expenses and proposed use of funds.
June 1 for research visit in the upcoming fiscal year August 1 - June 30
Send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Karni Scholarship
OR to the following postal address
Immigration History Research Center
University of Minnesota
311 Andersen Library
222 21st Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55455