|Abstract:||The collection includes CDs and cassettes with hymns and religious songs, albums of Summer Services containing taped sermons, calendars, hymn and song books, issues of "Christmas in Zion", religious literature, and text books, coloring books and handbooks for Sunday Schools and Bible classes.|
The Laestadian movement, named after Lutheran pastor Lars Levi Laestadius, first reached North America with Finnish immigrants in the 1860s. Congregations were first formally organized in Cokato, Minnesota in 1872 and Calumet, Michigan in 1873. The Laestadian movement in North America has suffered a number of schisms since 1890. The last division occurred in 1973, and was the impetus for the establishment of the Laestadian Lutheran Church. The Laestadian Lutheran Church (LLC) was organized on June 9, 1973 under the name "Association of American Laestadian Congregations" (AALC). The association changed its name in 1994 in order to better convey its spiritual heritage. Today the highest concentrations of members are in Minnesota, Washington, Arizona, Michigan, and Saskatchewan.
The Laestadian Lutheran Church collection is available for public research.
The Laestadian Lutheran Church collection is the physical property of the Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRC.
The Laestadian Lutheran Church Records, Finnish American Collection, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota
Back to all finding aids in IHRC Archives.