|Creator:||Polish Canteen for Servicemen (New York, N.Y.).|
|Abstract:||Records (1943-1975) of Polish Canteen for Servicemen (New York, N.Y.) include a brief history, financial records, clippings, photographs, programs, memorabilia, and copies of a weekly newspaper column that described canteen activities. The column appeared in Nowy Swiat. Also included is a limited amount of material regarding the Polish Women's Service Club.|
|Quantity:||1 linear in. and 1 tape cassette.|
|Language:||In Polish and English.|
The Polish Canteen for Servicemen, or "Swietlica," was organized in New York City in 1943 to provide persons in the armed services with a recreational facility. The Canteen was located in the Polish National Home in New York City; it served refreshments, sponsored fundraisers such as dances, and maintained a library. When it closed in 1945, it had served more than 48,000 persons. In January, 1946, the canteen was reorganized as the Polish Women's Service Club, a humanitarian organization working on behalf of Poles.
The Polish Canteen for Servicemen (New York, New York) collection is available for public research.
The Polish Canteen for Servicemen (New York, New York) collection is the physical property of the Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRC.
The Polish Canteen for Servicemen (New York, New York) Records, Polish American Collection, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota
|Polish Americans--Societies, etc.|
Back to all finding aids in IHRC Archives.